Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes*
Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes*
- 2 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish pie crusts
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 3/4 tsp. almond extract
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a deep-dish pie plate with nonstick baking spray. Line with 1 pie crust. Roll the other crust into a 12-inch circle; cut into 10 strips 3/4-inch wide. Set aside.
- Place blueberries in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, cornstarch, orange zest, and extract; mix well. Add to blueberries; toss to coat. Pour into pie crust.
- Place 5 pastry strips on top of berries in vertical rows. Weave the remaining 5 strips horizontally through the vertical strips. Seal all of the strips to edge of crust, crimping with fingers or a fork. Place pie on baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes; reduce temperature to 350°F. Loosely cover with foil; bake 30 minutes more or until juices are bubbling and thickened. Remove from oven; remove foil. Let cool completely before slicing.
Recipe notes: *cooling time extra
Serving suggestion: Serve with vanilla ice cream and coffee or tea.
|fat:||21 g (33 %)||21.15 g|
|cholesterol:||0 mg (0 %)||0.10 mg|
|sodium:||420 mg (17 %)||419.70 mg|
|carbohydrate:||64 g (21 %)||63.89 g|
|dietary fiber:||4 g (15 %)||3.63 g|
|protein:||4 g||3.51 g|
* Recipe developed for Integrated Marketing Services Photography by Visual Cuisines