Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes*
Total time: 1 hour*
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp. lowfat milk, divided
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3 tbsp. molasses
- 1/3 cup peeled, grated gingerroot
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8×4 1/2-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine 1 cup of the milk plus sugar, butter, and molasses; bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in grated ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves; stir to combine. Gently stir in milk mixture, stirring just until combined. Pour into pan.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool 20 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove gingerbread from pan; let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the glaze, in a medium bowl whisk together powdered sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon milk, and vanilla; add more milk to thin, if needed. Drizzle gingerbread with glaze. Let stand 30 minutes before slicing.
Recipe notes: *cooling time plus 30 minutes stand time extra
|fat:||11 g (17 %)||10.76 g|
|cholesterol:||28 mg (9 %)||28.48 mg|
|sodium:||229 mg (10 %)||228.55 mg|
|carbohydrate:||45 g (15 %)||44.67 g|
|dietary fiber:||1 g (3 %)||0.74 g|
|protein:||3 g||3.18 g|
* Recipe developed for Integrated Marketing Services Photography by Visual Cuisines